N.R.S. 293.313 - General procedure to request absent ballot; elections to which request applies; fraud or coercion in obtaining absent ballot prohibited; penalty
Overview of Statute
This section entitles certain persons to an absent ballot, and prohibits fraud or coercion in obtaining a ballot.
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 293.272 and 293.502, a registered voter may request an absent ballot if, before 5 p.m. on the 14th calendar day preceding the election, the registered voter:
(a) Provides sufficient written notice to the county clerk; and
(b) Has identified himself or herself to the satisfaction of the county clerk.
2. A registered voter may request an absent ballot for all elections held during the year he or she requests an absent ballot.
3. A county clerk shall consider a request from a voter who has given sufficient written notice on a form provided by the Federal Government as a request for an absent ballot for the primary and general elections immediately following the date on which the county clerk received the request.
4. It is unlawful for a person fraudulently to request an absent ballot in the name of another person or to induce or coerce another person fraudulently to request an absent ballot in the name of another person. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a category E felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
(Added to NRS by 1960, 256; A 1971, 443; 1973, 894; 1975, 527; 1987, 342, 1370; 1991, 2220; 1993, 2184; 1995, 1265; 1997, 230, 3456; 2001, 2950; 2003, 1649, 2177; 2011, 3070, 2017, 1359; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Absent ballot
A ballot voted by a person who expects to be or is absent from the polling place for his or her precinct or district on election day.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.013.
3. Definition for General election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.12755.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.060.
4. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
7. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.