N.R.S. 293.3085 - Canvass and counting of provisional ballots
Overview of Statute
This section provides for procedures covering the canvassing and counting of provisional ballots.
2. The county and city clerk shall not:
(a) Include any provisional ballot in the unofficial results reported on election night; or
(b) Open any envelope containing a provisional ballot before 8 a.m. on the Wednesday following election day.
3. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 4, a provisional ballot must be counted if:
(a) The county or city clerk determines that the person who cast the provisional ballot was registered to vote in the election, eligible to vote in the election and issued the appropriate ballot for the address at which the person resides;
(b) A voter who failed to provide required identification at the polling place or with his or her mailed ballot provides the required identification to the county or city clerk not later than 5 p.m. on the Friday following election day; or
(c) A court order has not been issued by 5 p.m. on the Friday following election day directing that provisional ballots cast pursuant to subsection 3 of NRS 293.3081 not be counted, and the provisional ballot was cast pursuant to subsection 3 of NRS 293.3081.
4. A provisional ballot must not be counted if the county or city clerk determines that the person who cast the provisional ballot cast the wrong ballot for the address at which the person resides.
(Added to NRS by 2003, 2172)
2. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
3. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
4. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
5. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
6. Definition for Canvass
A review of the election results by the board of county commissioners or the mayor and city council or the justices of the Supreme Court, by which any errors within the election results are officially noted and the official election results are declared.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.032.