N.R.S. 293.3082 - Casting of provisional ballot: Specific prerequisites; completion of written affirmation; contents of affirmation; provision of receipt; notation on roster; provisional ballot limited to purpose of voting for candidates for federal offices
Overview of Statute
This section governs specific prerequisites, completion of written affirmation, and additional logistics for voting by provisional ballots.
1. Before a person may cast a provisional ballot pursuant to NRS 293.3081, the person must complete a written affirmation on a form provided by an election board officer, as prescribed by the Secretary of State, at the polling place which includes:
(a) The name of the person casting the provisional ballot;
(b) The reason for casting the provisional ballot;
(c) A statement in which the person casting the provisional ballot affirms under penalty of perjury that he or she is a registered voter in the jurisdiction and is eligible to vote in the election;
(d) The date and type of election;
(e) The signature of the person casting the provisional ballot;
(f) The signature of the election board officer;
(g) A unique affirmation identification number assigned to the person casting the provisional ballot;
(h) If the person is casting the provisional ballot pursuant to subsection 1 of NRS 293.3081:
(1) An indication by the person as to whether or not he or she provided the required identification at the time the person applied to register to vote;
(2) The address of the person as listed on the application to register to vote;
(3) Information concerning the place, manner and approximate date on which the person applied to register to vote;
(4) Any other information that the person believes may be useful in verifying that the person has registered to vote; and
(5) A statement informing the voter that if the voter does not provide identification at the time the voter casts the provisional ballot, the required identification must be provided to the county or city clerk not later than 5 p.m. on the Friday following election day and that failure to do so will result in the provisional ballot not being counted;
(i) If the person is casting the provisional ballot pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 293.3081:
(1) The address of the person as listed on the application to register to vote;
(2) The voter registration number, if any, issued to the person; and
(3) A statement informing the voter that the required identification must be provided to the county or city clerk not later than 5 p.m. on the Friday following election day and that failure to do so will result in the provisional ballot not being counted; and
(j) If the person is casting the provisional ballot pursuant to subsection 3 of NRS 293.3081, the voter registration number, if any, issued to the person.
2. After a person completes a written affirmation pursuant to subsection 1:
(a) The election board officer shall provide the person with a receipt that includes the unique affirmation identification number described in subsection 1 and that explains how the person may use the free access system established pursuant to NRS 293.3086 to ascertain whether the person’s vote was counted, and, if the vote was not counted, the reason why the vote was not counted;
(b) The voter’s name and applicable information must be entered into the roster in a manner which indicates that the voter cast a provisional ballot; and
(c) The election board officer shall issue a provisional ballot to the person to vote.
(Added to NRS by 2003, 2170; 2019, c.619.)
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
2. Definition for Registered voter
An elector who has completed the procedure prescribed by law for registration as a voter.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.090.
4. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
5. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
6. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
8. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
9. Definition for Roster
The record in printed or electronic form furnished to election board officers which contains a list of eligible voters and is to be used for obtaining the signature of each person applying for a ballot.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.095.
10. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.