N.R.S. 293.3081 - Casting of provisional ballot: General conditions; declaration or application
Overview of Statute
This section provides the general conditions, declaration, or application of provisional ballots.
A person at a polling place may cast a provisional ballot in an election pursuant to NRS 293.3078 to 293.3086, inclusive, if the person complies with the applicable provisions of NRS 293.3082 and:
1. Declares that he or she has registered to vote and is eligible to vote at that election in that jurisdiction, but his or her name does not appear on a voter registration list as a voter eligible to vote in that election in that jurisdiction or an election official asserts that the person is not eligible to vote in that election in that jurisdiction;
2. Applies by mail or computer, on or after January 1, 2003, to register to vote and has not previously voted in an election for federal office in this State and fails to provide the identification required pursuant to paragraph (a) of subsection 1 of NRS 293.2725 to the election board officer at the polling place; or
3. Declares that he or she is entitled to vote after the polling place would normally close as a result of a court order or other order extending the time established for the closing of polls pursuant to a law of this State in effect 10 days before the date of the election.
1. Definition for Election board
The persons appointed by each county or city clerk to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293B.027.
3. Definition for Election board officer
A person appointed to assist in the conduct of an election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.050.
4. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
5. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
7. Definition for Ballot
The record of a voter’s preference of candidates and questions voted upon at an election. The term includes, without limitation, any paper given to a voter upon which the voter places his or her vote and any electronic storage tapes.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.025.
8. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.