N.R.S. 293.187 - Certification of names of persons for whom candidacy papers have been filed
Overview of Statute
This section provides for the certification of person for whom candidacy papers have been filed.
1. Not later than 5 working days after the last day on which a candidate for nonjudicial office may withdraw his or her candidacy pursuant to NRS 293.202:
(a) The Secretary of State shall forward to each county clerk a certified list containing the name and mailing address of each person for whom candidacy papers for judicial and nonjudicial office have been filed in the Office of the Secretary of State, and who is entitled to be voted for in the county at the next succeeding primary election, together with the title of the office for which the person is a candidate and the party or principles he or she represents; and
(b) Each county clerk shall forward to the Secretary of State a certified list containing the name and mailing address of each person for whom candidacy papers for judicial and nonjudicial office have been filed in the office of the county clerk, and who is entitled to be voted for in the county at the next succeeding primary election, together with the title of the office for which the person is a candidate and the party or principles he or she represents.
2. There must be a party designation only for candidates for partisan offices.
1. Definition for County clerk
2. Definition for Primary election
The election held pursuant to NRS 293.175.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.080.
3. Definition for Mail
The depositing of printed or written matter in a mailbox or post office for delivery by the United States Postal Service.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.065.
4. Definition for Clerk
The election board officer designated or assigned to make the record of the election in the roster, tally list and challenge list in the precinct, district or polling place in which such officer is appointed.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293.040.
5. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 293D.080.
6. Definition for Person
1. A natural person;
2. Any form of business or social organization;
3. Any nongovernmental legal entity, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, association, trust, unincorporated organization, labor union, committee for political action, political party and committee sponsored by a political party; or
4. A government, governmental agency or political subdivision of a government.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.009.
7. Definition for Candidate
1. Who files a declaration of candidacy;
2. Who files an acceptance of candidacy;
3. Whose name appears on an official ballot at any election; or
4. Who has received one or more contributions in excess of $100, regardless of whether:
(a) The person has filed a declaration of candidacy or an acceptance of candidacy; or
(b) The name of the person appears on an official ballot at any election.
See Nev. Rev. Stat. § 294A.005.
Regulations & Guidance
Attorney General's Opinions
AGO 214 (1918) Where only two candidates file for the same nonpartisan office, such persons stand as nonpartisan nominees at the general election and it is unnecessary for the secretary of state to certify their names to the county clerks for the primary election.
AGO 244 (1926) If there is no party contest for an office, the name of a candidate will not appear on a primary ballot and the secretary of state should not certify the name to the county clerks.