§ 100.141 Notice of special election to fill any vacancy in office.
Overview of Statute
(1) Whenever a special election is required to fill any vacancy in office, the Governor, after consultation with the Secretary of State, shall issue an order declaring on what day the election shall be held and deliver the order to the Department of State.
(2) The Department of State shall prepare a notice stating what offices are to be filled in the special election, the dates set for the special primary election and the special election, the dates fixed for qualifying for office, the dates fixed for qualifying by the petition process pursuant to s. 99.095, and the dates fixed for filing campaign expense statements.
s. 6, ch. 3879, 1889; RS 160; s. 7, ch. 4328, 1895; GS 177; RGS 221; CGL 256; s. 3, ch. 25383, 1949; s. 1, ch. 26329, 1949; s. 4, ch. 26870, 1951; ss. 10, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 12, ch. 77-175; s. 14, ch. 90-315; s. 13, ch. 99-318; s. 21, ch. 2005-277; s. 14, ch. 2005-286.
- Election Day
1. Definition for Department
The Department of State. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(7).
2. Definition for Supervisor
The supervisor of elections. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(36).
3. Definition for Primary Election
An election held preceding the general election for the purpose of nominating a party nominee to be voted for in the general election to fill a national, state, county, or district office. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(29).
4. Definition for Special Election
A special election called for the purpose of voting on a party nominee to fill a vacancy in the national, state, county, or district office. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(34).
5. Definition for Special Primary Election
A special nomination election designated by the Governor, called for the purpose of nominating a party nominee to be voted on in a general or special election.
6. Definition for Newspaper of General Circulation
A newspaper printed in the language most commonly spoken in the area within which it circulates and which is readily available for purchase by all inhabitants in the area of circulation, but does not include a newspaper intended primarily for members of a particular professional or occupational group, a newspaper the primary function of which is to carry legal notices, or a newspaper that is given away primarily to distribute advertising. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(20).
7. Definition for Issue
A proposition that is required by the State Constitution, by law or resolution of the Legislature, or by the charter, ordinance, or resolution of a political subdivision of this state to be submitted to the electors for their approval or rejection at an election, or a proposition for which a petition is circulated in order to have such proposition placed on the ballot at an election. Fla. Stat. § 106.011(13).
8. Definition for Election
Any primary election, special primary election, special election, general election, or presidential preference primary election. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(12).
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 16, Notice of special elections
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 117, Ordering or calling
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 118, Notice